Back to School Top Tips from Barnes Chiropractor Julian Keel
After the long summer holidays, back to school can be quite a shock to the system.
My two eldest children have started back at school full of beans and raring to go but I know as their days get busier and as summer, (or what glorious glimpses we had of summer!), fades into a distant memory, they need to stay on top form if they are to keep fit and healthy.
In my clinic, Barnes Chiropractic Healthcare, I see a lot of children who suffer from aches and pains and a host of different complaints and back to school illnesses.
Here are my Do It Yourselves top tips for children who want to stay top of the class:
- Get enough good quality sleep – go to bed early enough and make sure all computer or television screens are off at least an hour before bedtime. The light from screens has been shown to disrupt melatonin (the body’s sleep chemical).
- Have a decent breakfast – don’t scrimp on the portions and quality of this important meal that sets you up for the day! Eat energy sustaining foods such as eggs, or cereals like porridge or muesli with yogurt and fruit. Avoid sugar – it only gives you short -lived energy and is known to suppress your immune system and some forms of sugar are toxic to the body!
- Use a rucksack to carry your school stuff – carrying only the things you need for that day and nothing extra. Of course you need to make sure you use BOTH shoulder straps to help distribute the load evenly.
- Warm up before sport and stretch out after – keep your joints flexible and muscles in good shape.
- Sit well – you will be sitting down a lot, so make sure you sit well, use your postural muscles to keep you upright and don’t slouch! Try not to have your head forward of your body when your reading or working at a screen, keep it so your ears are in line with the middle of your shoulders to save those poor neck muscles!
If you are experiencing any aches or pains from sitting, sports or any mysterious ‘growing pains’ and you want an expert opinion on how best to feel better, I am qualified to diagnose, treat and give advice for many common and not so common childhood ailments, keeping our kids healthy and vital.
Best wishes to all from your Barnes Chiropractor.
Have fun and don’t let back to school be a pain.
Call us on 020 8878 7887.
From Julian & the Team at Barnes Chiropractic Healthcare
When You Need A Personalised Approach to Your Health
Barnes, Richmond and the surrounding areas in South West London